Wednesday, September 21, 2011

PUSH ME


I had the best run I've had in a LONG TIME this morning.

Running outside means you're part of the public. Sometimes, you come across other runners. When you're in a city like New York, where EVERYONE is a runner, it even gets a little competitive amongst strangers. You find yourself trying to keep up with other strangers, and you end up running faster than you intended. I am severely apprehensive about actively running with other people, so these moments are the only times I actually feel like I'm running with someone.

The above happened to me this morning but, infinitely better. This women was right next to me the entire time I ran across the Brooklyn Bridge back to Brooklyn. We were neck and neck. One passed the other for a second, and the other caught up right away. At a certain point, our eyes met, and we silently acknowledged each other, and it became almost like a race. We were BLITZING. HARD. At the end of the race, we ran so hard and well that we high five-ed each other. It was the greatest example of running camaraderie. She screamed "GREAT JOB!!" and I sincerely thanked her for the competition. I don't know what her name is, nor where she's from. But she pushed me to my limit this morning, and I couldn't thank her enough for letting me start out my day accomplishing something I normally don't get to do.

I know this is more reason to find a running team... I hope I get to that some day.

The picture is me in complete elation, right before I took a shower for my 9AM class.

Elation can sometimes look like crazy. Just sayin.

No comments: