Saturday, February 09, 2008

Confession:

After a long day of work (and it's gotten longer these past 2 weeks) I don't want to talk to ANYONE. I usually don't pick up my phone (unless it's my mom), and I don't ever feel like grabbing a drink or dinner with anyone. All I want to do is go home, eat my hummus and tomato sandwich that I've been eating for months and read the paper online while doing crosswords.

I don't know what it is. It might be because I talk a lot during the day, to my clients, to my client's doctors/lawyers/caregivers. I'm on the phone a lot (confession #2: I hate phones), and if there's one thing I usually have to do is be patient. I am patient by nature (I believe) but it does get a little taxing by the end of the day.

I've successfully isolated myself from the world for the last couple of months, especially because my roommate and I used to have opposite schedules, where he would come home when I went to bed, and I would leave for work before he got up.

Recently, he changed his schedule to make it a little healthier, and now he's home by the time I get there. Usually, he's watching some crap television ( Celebrity Apprentice anyone?), but because he's there, it's usually implied that I converse with him at least once during the night.

So we talk. And we talk about work, about politics, about boys (mostly his). And you know what? It's not that bad. In fact, I realized one night that I'm slightly less stressed and tense after talking to him and going to bed. He also makes me go to my bed instead of letting me pass out on the couch. Now, it's not just anyone who could make me talk after work and actually alleviate my day's fatigue. I'm presuming it's because it's with someone I could tolerating sharing a living space.

I still can't completely enjoy talking to people all the time, though. If I had to be with people 24 hours a day, I might just shoot myself. I have yet to find a single person that I want to see every single day for 24 hours. People find it surprising when I tell them that I enjoy these times of solitude. However, if I'm not with you, I'm most likely by myself. Most likely.

No comments: